Welcome to my blog! x

Thursday 20 May 2010

Rose Butter Cookies



Haven't posted for a really long time! Hopefully this will start me up again~

While researching on a recipe for tea flavoured cookies, I came upon this recipe that replaces egg with milk and ground tea leaves. Its so clever! I went to my cupboard searching for suitable tea and found the pack of dried rose buds my mom got me from Hong Kong staring at me. So rose flavour it is!

These cookies are gorgeous and even my husband who doesnt like to see pieces of tea leaves or flowers in his food loved it. My 2 years old daughter helped me cut the cookies out and she loved them so much she woke up this morning (made them yesterday) shouting: Abby loves cookies!!!

Reference - Nigella Lawson's Butter Cut-Out Cookies and Vanlily's Earl Grey Tea Cookies

Ingredients (Make approx. 20-25)

87.5g Unsalted Butter, softened under room temperature
100g Icing Sugar
35g Milk
1/2 tbsp Ground Rose Buds (stalks removed and grind the buds into powder)
200g Plain Flour (I use weak flour)
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt

1) Soak the ground rose buds in the milk (no need to boil) for approx 20 mins
2) Cream butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy
3) Bit by bit add the milk mixture into the butter, making sure its mixed well each time you add the milk.
4) Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into the mixture and fold until its just combined.
5) Form a dough and then flatten to a disc. Wrap with clingfilm and rest in the fridge for ~30 mins.

Preheat oven to 180C

6) Roll the dough on a very lightly floured worktop and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place them on a lined baking sheet and bake for approx. 12 mins until golden brown.
7) Remove from oven, rest for a couple of mins then remove the cookies and cool them completely on a cooling rack.

Note:
- Store them in an airtight container once its completely cooled to retain its crispness.
- Amount of rose bud powder is adjustable according to preference
- Amount of milk is adjustable as well, think of '1 large egg' amount of liquid being replaced by milk.
- Original recipe called for 100g caster sugar, I replaced it with icing sugar, you can adjust the amount as well if you think it could be too sweet.

1 comment: